8 - 12 year old beginners
The Primary Piano Series is dynamic, comprehensive and lots of fun.
As with the Junior Piano Series, students learn to play hands together from the first lesson. It is suitable for both private and group lessons.
Encore’s unique whole-pattern methodology is utilised throughout the series. This results in faster learning and fosters the development of musical intelligence. Students become skilled in reading musical scores, are able to play by ear, transpose pieces into related keys and accomplish other musicianship skills that are rarely explored by other piano methods. This course develops well-rounded musicians as opposed to students who just read and play.
Multi-sensory teaching strategies ensure that all learning styles are well supported. The learning sequence is carefully structured to suit the intended age-range. It provides great flexibility which ensures students achieve their full potential.
The Primary Piano Series uses a ‘Five-Finger’ approach as opposed to the ‘Middle C’ approach of some other methods. The ‘Five-Finger’ system allows students to learn the piano as both a harmonic and melodic instrument. It also treats the right and left hands as equal partners and establishes a versatility that allows the hands to swap parts with ease.
There is a strong rhythmic and harmonic foundation throughout the Primary Piano Series. Rhythm is the basis of all music-making and harmony is intrinsic to western music. Students are able to make rapid progress because the essential structures that underpin their pieces are quickly grasped as a series of whole-patterns or complete musical units.
Technical foundation skills are integrated throughout the series. This begins with non-legato playing before establishing a legato touch. Chord playing is taught as an essential skill so that by the end of Book 2, chords I, IV and V7 are known in both hands and in three keys. Students are able to experience a wide range of styles from Baroque to Rock, and Jazz to Pop.
Students who successfully complete the Primary Piano Series advance to the Achiever Piano Series.
KEY ELEMENTS OF THE PRIMARY PIANO SERIES ARE:
- Finger Zips – small pieces that develop keyboard skills on a micro level
- Rhythm Taps – develop two-handed coordination, rhythm reading and playing
- Finger Taps – establish finger numbers, develop dexterity and reinforce fingering patterns
- Repertoire Pieces – solo performance pieces
- Ensembles – develop part-playing skills, group interaction and team playing
- Keyboard Harmony – chord playing skills, transposing and improvising
- Solfa/Solfege Singing – builds an aural library of melodic patterns
- By-Ear Playing – connecting keyboard playing with aural perception
- Flash Cards – enhance reading skills and reinforce theory concepts
- Backing Tracks – provide authentic aural models that feature outstanding arrangements.